Pagina's

Monday, May 24, 2010

SINGLE REVIEWS : THE RAN TAN WALTZ - THEM THAT HELP THEMSELF, DO THEMSELF MORE GOOD EP

Music is like love I suppose, I mean the best things come unexpected and so it happened that I got a mail from this Wakefield-based band asking me if I would give their band a chance.
I did it a thousand times, so why not a band who's named after some song by Kate Bush?
Well mind you, I might like Kate but this is something totally different.
Still can't decide if I will categorize it as lo-fi post-punk or whatever but it's like the band says themselves : the aim is to write songs with a personal and a political message.
I know they all do say that, but I can't help it that opening track "The beat generation" reminded me from the very first minute of something what early Fall or The Yummy Fur did (in case you know them ) while "Tripartite crossfire" is something like...Hefner, I think.
It's all very original and original in the sense that this is a band who aren't bandwagonjumping, it's in their veins and you can feel that.
Sole bad thing then?
Well, if dear John Peel would have been alive he would have played it over and over but for the rest check 'em out...
www.myspace.com/wearetherantanwaltz

No comments:

Post a Comment