Pagina's

Monday, May 3, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH STARS AND SONS


The Original Sin always supported new and unsigned bands and even if it looks like this blog is having the storm of its life due to the many updates, we still do it as after all that's why The Original Sin was invented for.
Stars And Sons are a new band from Brighton.
Was never sure about that band's name but seeing it was taken from a Broken Social Scene-track it suddenly has more sense.
Imagine Ben Folds Five with a psychedelic extra and you have an idea how they might sound like...so yes it's piano-lead indiepop and no, luckily enough for me they're not like Keane.
I would never invest my time in Keane wanna be's anyway...but cut the crap as Mick Jones once shouted : here's Stars And Sons!!!!


HELLO, PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELVES AND HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR MUSIC THEN?

Hi! I’m Mike and I sing and play piano in the band.
I also do a lot of the production stuff and recordings.
I see our music as slightly left-field pop music.

OVER HERE IN BELGIUM YOU’RE A TOTAL NEW BAND, SO CAN YOU TELL US SOMETHING ABOUT HOW THINGS ARE GOING IN ENGLAND?

Well we’re a pretty new band in England!
Our album has just come out digitally on iTunes, and we’re currently touring and writing new material.

SORRY BUT I MUST ASK, WHY THE NAME????

It comes from a track by Broken Social Scene. They named it after the studio where the song was recorded.

YOUR MUSIC IS QUITE VARIED, IT GOES FROM PURE BRITPOP TO REAL PSYCHEDELIC STUFF…..
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?

Yes. I guess some of it is quite Britpoppy.
I was never really that into the big Britpop bands of the 90s, I think maybe the swagger and posturing turned me off a bit.
It’s unsurprising that the impression of Britpop has lasted though. It was quite a big deal.

I COULDN’T HELP IT BUT TO BE HONEST I HATE IT WHEN BANDS ARE COMPARING THEMSELVES WITH THE BEATLES AS USUALLY THEY ARE NOT…
BUT YOU DON’T AND YOUR ALBUM REMINDED ME OF “SGT PEPPER’S LONELY’S HEARTCLUB BAND”……….

Yeah that was almost a blueprint for us.
At one point we were going to use a reprise of one of our songs, but we thought we’d keep it short and sweet for a debut album!

YOU HAVE A PIANO IN YOUR INDIESOUND, SOME WILL SAY THAT’S UNCOOL…..

Yeah it’s pretty uncool.
Not something that’s ever bothered us before though!
We can’t all be doing whatever is cool at the moment.
We just try and make music that we’d enjoy ourselves.

THERE’S DEFINITELY A NEW MUSICAL OCEAN COMING FROM THE UK, NOT?

I dunno it seems pretty stagnant to me.
Nobody is being signed, no-one wants to take any risks, it’s all a bit safe at the moment.
Understandable in our current economic condition, but pretty boring all the same.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE MUSIC INDUSTRY AS IT IS TODAY? I MEAN YOU’RE FROM A DOWNLOAD GENERATION…..

Well it’s basically fucked after years of systematic abuse and ridiculous decision making.
No problem to us though, we’ll keep churning out the music..
The ‘industry’ part as it used to be known is losing relevance and struggling to keep afloat. If people can adapt, then fair play to them.

LAST QUESTIONS ARE QUESTIONS I ALWAYS ASK, I CALL IT THE TRADITIONAL ORIGINAL SIN-QUESTIONS… WHAT’S YOUR FAVE RECORD OF ALL TIME AND WHY?

Maybe ‘Since I left you’ by The Avalanches. I’ve listened to it far too much now though. It’s an exciting and dense collage which contains little snippets of just about everything which is great about music. Good for a bit of escapism.

WITH WHO WOULDN’T YOU MIND BEING STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR FOR 8 HOURS AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO THEN?

Bono. I’d slap him continuously for 8 hours.

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM STARS AND SONS IN THE FUTURE?

More music, lots more. We have 2 albums on the go simultaneously at the moment.

DO YOU WANT TO SAY SOMETHING SPECIAL TO OUR READERS?

Hello!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment